----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 10:07 AM
Subject: Re: [ql-users] Software pirates in our midst?

> Hi all,
>
> I just wanted to point out something to the general QL world at
> large: as you all know, SMSQ/E is being made available publicly,
> under a licence that was discussed at length here.
> This licence is now the current licence for all versions of SMSQ/E.
>
> Under this licence, only appointed resellers may sell the software,
> provided, notably, that a 10 euro payment is made to Tony Tebby
> for each copy sold.
>
> Today, D&D systems are selling the Q40/Q60. These are
> machines that contain SMSQ/E in ROM (they cannot boot
> otherwise).
>
> D&D have NOT even requested to become a software reseller. They
> are NOT paying the licence fees.
>
> This means that these people are currently selling something
> for which they have no licence and which they do not have the right
> to distribute - in other words, counterfeit software.
> Doesn't this mean that they are software pirates?
>
> Even worse, this means that YOU, when you are buying this
> machine with this software, are also using counterfeit software, and
> by extension, when using the Q40/Q60, you are also a software
> pirate.
>
> Do you really want to be?
>

> Wolfgang

I suspect that many of probable Q40i/Q60 purchasers are already owners
of SMSQE for one of the various platforms, If I go ahead and purchase a
Q60 as an upgrade from Q40 I already own SMSQE for that machine, I also
use SMSQE for Aurora and SuperGold Card how many times do you want me to
buy it.
Considering that the original purchase promised features that have taken
years to include and some still not included isn't it time to give a
little to user such as I who have parted with money on trust for so many
years.
C'mon guys it's a hobby and a hobby that includes some nice people, some
very clever people, some understanding traders and some very patient
users and no pirates that I recall.

There are not enough of us left that we should start an us and them war.

all the best - Bill

  • ... Derek Stewart
  • ... Phoebus Dokos
  • ... Derek Stewart