??? 5/11/2002 3:07:40 ??, ?/? "Bill Waugh"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ??????:

world at
>> large: as you all know, SMSQ/E is being made available
publicly,
>> under a licence that was discussed at length here.
>> This licence is now the current licence for all versions of
SMSQ/E.

>> Under this licence, only appointed resellers may sell the
software,
>> provided, notably, that a 10 euro payment is made to Tony
Tebby
>> for each copy sold.
>>
>> Today, D&D systems are selling the Q40/Q60. These are
>> machines that contain SMSQ/E in ROM (they cannot boot
>> otherwise).
>>
>> D&D have NOT even requested to become a software
reseller. They
>> are NOT paying the licence fees.
>>
>> This means that these people are currently selling
something
>> for which they have no licence and which they do not have
the right
>> to distribute - in other words, counterfeit software.
>> Doesn't this mean that they are software pirates?
>>
>> Even worse, this means that YOU, when you are buying
this
>> machine with this software, are also using counterfeit
software, and
>> by extension, when using the Q40/Q60, you are also a
software
>> pirate.
>>
>> Do you really want to be?
>>

>> Wolfgang
>
>I suspect that many of probable Q40i/Q60 purchasers are
already owners
>of SMSQE for one of the various platforms, If I go ahead and
purchase a
>Q60 as an upgrade from Q40 I already own SMSQE for that
machine, I also
>use SMSQE for Aurora and SuperGold Card how many times
do you want me to
>buy it.
>Considering that the original purchase promised features that
have taken
>years to include and some still not included isn't it time to
give a
>little to user such as I who have parted with money on trust
for so many
>years.
>C'mon guys it's a hobby and a hobby that includes some nice
people, some
>very clever people, some understanding traders and some
very patient
>users and no pirates that I recall.
>
>There are not enough of us left that we should start an us
and them war.

>all the best - Bill

I have to agree with Bill (and Bill Cable) on more than one
levels...

Apart from what's legal (or not legal), there should be a level
of reason among users, vendors and developers. SMSQ/E
originally did include upgrades in the price (and that's how I
got QPC originally). I do not agree with the term "completely"
new operating system because it is not completely new. The
fact that some modules change from one platform to the next
doesn't mean anything. Totally new means that it does
something that wasn't there originally and with the exception
of the GD2, as Bill (Waugh) pointed out, everything that wass
promised to us was never delivered. Under that assumption
SMSQ/E from D&D is indeed an upgrade and not a completely
new O/S. Now if TT (or somebody else) shows me an SMSQ/E
with meta drivers, memory protection, embeded microGui etc..
.then yes I would consider that a new product but what is
now... is not new (maybe better implemented... but most of
them were there originally and newer versions just ironed out
some bugs)...

Now on what's LEGAL, Wolfgang is absolutely right, provided
that SMSQ/E is a NEW product which after some thought I
don't think it is... just an upgrade... We all have been
operating under that  assumption else many QPC sales
wouldn't be possible right?

Phoebus

  • ... Phoebus Dokos
  • ... Derek Stewart