So now that weve argued this license business to exhaustion
isnt it time to move on to some practicalities?  The license
says nothing of HOW were going to work, WHOs going to
do WHAT and in WHICH order. So how do we go about
this?

Quite some work has already been done by various people,
such as tidying up the code to make it suitable for general
distribution, adding various tools and help utilities, and
Marcel has added some significant improvements to the code
base which were previously only available to SMSQ-E for QPC.
All well and good so far :)

We now need to consolidate and take a look at how it is best
to proceed. I think this project is going to be very much
people-driven rather than goal-driven. The framework we work
under will derive from that rather than be the result of a
pre-determined, unified plan. I doubt we'll ever be able to
agree among ourselves on a common goal, but we may just be
able agree on a general direction and some of the obvious
sub-goals that arise from that. Communication and some kind
of structure therefore become central, or we'll just fumble and
then stumble.. One way to build such a framework, one that is both
firm, dynamic and distributed, in a practical way, would
be to develop a dedicated website for this purpose. It could:

Hold general information about the project
List the sub-projects
List planned developments
List the developers and their areas
List progress information
List the resellers and registrar
Allow downloading of components to registered developers
Allow downloading of the latest binaries to registered users
Hold the documentation
Allow downloading of utilities related to development
Allow bug reports and feedback
Hold a support database (a la M$'s Knowledgebase)

Im not suggesting the registrar do this as it is a major
project in its own right.

Of course this may go against the licence as it stands  - in
practise, though not, if I understand correctly, in spirit.

Per

  • ... Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος
    • ... Dave P
      • ... ZN