On 16 Jul 2003 at 12:28, Mark Martin wrote:
(...)> Please do NOT flame me.

people don't generally get flamed on this list, as ong as they express themselves
civilly
(which is you case)....

 (...)
> I'm curious to understand why just about anything for the QL is commercial.

Others have pointed out in this list that everything isn't - much software is free.

Perhaps, as a developper who has released free & costing

For me,t he decisoin to have most software as paid programs stems from a single
question:

What holds the QL community still together?

And my answer is that I believe that it is the traders.

Why?

How many of us would go to a QL show if there were no more traders there?
Probably not many.
How many shows would there be if there were nobody coming?
Probably none.
How much would interest in the QL wane if there were no more shows at all?
Pretty fast.

So, by writing software to keep others buying it, I have the feeling that I do my
little bit
to keep the QL community alive.

Oh, of course I do get money too, and it's nice pocket money.

But this isn't the determining factor.

Inversely, I've bought many a piece of software from the traders that I didn't need.

Wolfgang