On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 05:05:26 EDT, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

In a message dated 04/10/03 01:57:08 GMT Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

Epson stylus colour 850. Beats the LX80 hands down, George. The speed is up
and the decibels are down. Epson ink is more expensive than Dom Pérignon and
doesnt taste as good, but generics are available at 1/4 of the price.

Yes, but Generic print cartridges do tend to ruin the print heads over time
(costs more than the original printer to replace them) - your best bet is to
look at slightly out of date print cartridges for it, such as I supply:

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/RWAPSoftware/Printers2.html

I will have to second (and third, fourth... ;-) ) that.
As the matter of fact when I was working at Greece's "Silicon Valley" (That's that we used to call the Computer Shop district at one time),
there were no more printer returns than Epson ones. As a matter of facts Epson faults were twice as much that all other printers combined.

Reasons included:

1. Use of "compatible" cartridges. Epson uses a patented ink mixture. Non EPSON ink will surely clog the print heads and Rich is absolutely right that an Epson Print Head is so expensive it's not even worth to replace
2. Overused (exceeding the manual's top printing quota) or UNDERUSED printer!!!!... Believe it or not, the official service center of Epson in Greece gave me that explanation when my 1500 XL kicked the bucket (along side other customers' printers...) That however affected most wide-carriage EPSONS.
3. Extremely sensitive PSU (one little spike and it doesn't blow just a fuse... it blows up completely!)

Now many of you haven't seen these kinds of failures but remember I have dealt in hundreds of EPSONs so I have the "bigger" picture.
The errors appeared in printers manufactured in the UK for export (only a small portion of them) and Japan. Strangely enough German-made EPSONs didn't exhibit as many problems.

For the most reliable printers that I have seen in all my 10+ years in retail computing I would choose the following:

Impact Matrix Printers
---------------------------
1. Star LC10/LC90
2. AMT Accel 500 (Workhorses)
3. Genicom (Former Centronics)
4. OKI Microline (Real GEMS)
5. Citizen Swift 24 (early models not the "e")
6. Brother 1009 (Yep those old things)

Inkjet Printers
------------------
1. All older BJ Canon series printers (BJ10e and BJ10ex especially) and Canon Based (Like Textronix and Xerox)
2. ALL Lexmarks (They do take a beating)
3. All HPs (except for their feeder that is a disgrace... the actual printer doesn't break but the feeder does... -Fixable if you tweak the spring underneath the paper plate-)

Laser Printers
-----------------
1. My all time favourite: HP LaserJet 500+. Actually this is also a Canon-based printer. All Canon-based printing engines are extremely reliable. This includes the complete line of HPs
2. OkiPage LED printers (not the top loading ones)
3. Minolta (Mannesmann Engine)

Phoebus
--
Rich Mellor
RWAP Services

In need of adventure?

Stuck with ordinary dial up internet connection ??
Read our review of internet accelerators and broadband at:
URL:http://www.rwapservices.co.uk

--
Visit the QL-FAQ at: <http://www.dokos-gr.net/ql/faq/> (Still uploading stuff!)
Visit the uQLX-win32 homepage at: <http://www.dokos-gr.net/ql/uqlx.html>