On 14 Oct 2003 at 13:55, Bill Cable wrote:

(...)
> I knew the QL was very special the first time I switch it on and am pleased to
> see it receive credit as a key motivator for the Open Source Movement.

:-)

Just to put a further cat amongt the pigeons (I'm in a provocative mood today), let me
ask whether SMSQ/E, as it stands now, really ISN'T "open source".

Let's define open source as being software which you can do anything with:
Compile it, change it, distribute it in source and complied form.

With SMSQ/E there are two restrictions:

1 - IF (and that is IF!!!!!!) you want your code in the official version, it has to be
vetted
by me - or rather by the "registrar".
Is that SOOOOOOOOOO unreasonable?
2 - You may NOT distribute the compiled code (unless for testing purposes etc...).
BUT
1 - you can become a reseller
2 -  the sources have everything needed but an Assembler to be readily compiled.

Wolfgang

> -- Bill

  • ... Jochen Merz (SMSQ)
    • ... Bill Cable