On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:58:19 +0200, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 15 Oct 2003 at 3:05, Phoebus R. Dokos (è á . ç ) wrote:

(all cut)

<snip more>

I have repeatedly stated on this list that OF COURSE I would include
code that beneftis only one machine - provided, it is not done in such a
way to exclude all others on purpose.

Well the thing is that in order for Qx0 to benefit lower capability machines will be excluded but not in purpose. Just like they don't support sound or extra modes because of limitations of the supporting hardware a similar thing would happen because of the processor.

The goal I think would be to create a set of parameters where all machines should operate the same and anything above that would be an extension... Ie you want virtual QLs running within the OS then you can have it if your hardware supports it etc...

There is ONE caveat - I want all machines to be able to compile all
versions.
If my Q60 breaks down I want to be able to compile the Q60 code on
my Atari, or on QPC or on my GoldCard.

As it stands currently that wouldn't be possible unless the tools change, I agree but I don't see that as a severe problem. Knowing George Gwilt, his GWASSL/GWASS might just do that :-) (From what I gather from his small comment).
BTW: I disagree with your argument on QLT regarding the use of GWASS. GWASS can benefit more than one users, its actively maintained as opposed to the archaic QMAC and moreover it is current and best of all FREE. Since George by his account is converting all the macros for use with SMSQ/e sources what would be the problem of using it? It can be the tool that can help bring about changes to the OS, suitable for high-end machines. As for the lower end machines that cannot support the extra instructions the lack of tool can be circumvented with the use of conditional assebly.

Not unreasonable, is it?

Neither is the above right? :-)

Phoebus

--