On  Thu, 23 Oct 2003 at 07:00:36,
=?iso-8859-7?B?IlBob2VidXMgUi4gRG9rb3MgKNbv3+Lv8iDRLiDN9Pzq7/IpIg==?=
wrote:
(ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

>On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:36:48 +0100, Tony Firshman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>

>> On  Wed, 22 Oct 2003 at 20:09:09,
>> =?iso-8859-7?B?IlBob2VidXMgUi4gRG9rb3MgKNbv3+Lv8iDRLiDN9Pzq7/IpIg==?=
>> wrote:
>> (ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
>>

>>> And while Bruce is at it, I suggest he fixes the ql-users headers to an
>>> appropriate format so it identifies itself as a mailing list :-)
>> I didn' know that was a header feature.
>
>It is not. Not really that is. Turnpike (and the Bat!) are smart enough
>to be able to distinguish them,
Not Turnpike.  It simply offers mail routing - with a potentially
complex algorithm.
However I simply select by email address - perfectly OK for mailing
lists.
> however others (like Opera's M2, Eudora 5/6 etc) rely on the standard
>and thus it becomes a "headers" issue. (ie if some are missing then the
>post is not considered an mailing list message). Moreover this approach
>at times is better as it can potentially protect you from fraudulent
>posts (ie the spammer or virus writer may simulate some of the headers
>but not all of them (especially in a closed list like this one). The
>"appropriate headers"  approach therefore will work great with both
>Turnpike and everything else that supports separation of regular from
>mailing list emails without loss of functionality (and a couple of
>additional benefits too)
>
>> Mind you get software (like Turnpike) which does all the necessary
>> routeing etc by sender address.  That is just as good isn't it?
>>

>No, not really since an email can be send from a mailing list but can
>also be forged (see above).
Ah I see - true.  I have not seen any in the mailing lists I take, other
than ql-chat.

--
         QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:252/67) +44(0)1442-828255
     tony@<surname>.co.uk  http://www.firshman.co.uk
       Voice: +44(0)1442-828254   Fax: +44(0)1442-828255
  • ... Tony Firshman
  • ... Marcel Kilgus
  • ... Tony Firshman
  • ... Malcolm Cadman