Rok Papez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> When I hit reply it tells me that From: and Reply-To: fields differ and
> asks me to what e-mail adress do I want to reply (to mailing list or
> to the author personal mailbox).
> -> Now that's a smart MUA.

Except that it's lying to you.

I know a non-trivial number of people for whom, if you answered "personal
mailbox" to that question, the response would end up going somewhere
that's never read or bouncing.  It's also downright rude for people who
are answering administrative mail; it forces them to put the role address
as their From address, which I personally find distasteful.  Being able to
indicate that yes, "Russ Allbery" is responding to you, but you should
send your responses to his mail to postmaster@leland so that other people
can help you too is valuable semantics.

MUAs like yours cause inexperienced users to override reply-to, which on
more than one occasion has resulted in those people's questions going
unanswered for far long than was necessary.

And, in the spirit of this thread, no, I am not going to put the role
address in the From header, because that's giving in to broken clients.
The RFCs spell out what the From header is and what the Reply-To header
is, and I'm going to abide by the standards.  Software that doesn't is
defective and should be fixed.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])         <URL:http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>