At 20:13 +0100 03-03-99, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>   If you had a "server farm" with (say) 10 PCs, you don't have to worry
>   about UID limits, even with versions of Unix that don't support 32-bit
>   UIDs.  You also don't have to worry about putting all of your users out
>   of business if one server goes down, and chores like backups become much
>   easier.

Sun Solaris supports 32-bit uids.

>   I don't know much about proxies; is there some nifty way for a user to
>   connect to a large mail-server, have the server tell the user's machine
>   "your mail is actually on server03", and then redirect the POP/SMTP
>   requests to the correct PC without having all of the resulting traffic
>   pass through one machine?  This would allow you to load-balance by
>   moving mail accounts around without inconveniencing the user.

Yes, there is. There is a software package that can redirect users to
different servers based on the database of your choice. It's called
deligate if I'm not mistaken. (It can be used to redirect many protocols,
such as POP, IMAP, HTTP, SMTP, etc.)

You can achieve much of the same functionality by just using qmail. This
has been discussed before on this list.

One thing's for sure though, do not trust NFS-delivery in such a large
enviroment.

-frode-