DJB wrote:
> I'm interested in credible plans for eliminating spam: e.g., using the
> legal system to bankrupt spammers, and widely advertising the results;
> or using digital cash to incorporate secure prepayments into Internet
> mail. I'm not interested in security through obscurity.

How about this.

I can't take credit for the ideas - I'm just joining two potential solutions.

1 - We already have the RBL.

2 - We setup a "dummy" address to which when our mail system receives
    a spam it records some pattern from that email and matches this pattern
    against further emails from that host - any matches are rejected/discarded
    or placed somewhere else.
    Idea from this originally belongs to Elie Rosenbloom (nyx.net)

So lets design a system where we, as contributing MTAs, register a few
dummy addresses with a central (or distributed) RBL type setup.

We all make up these arbitrary addresses and seed the spammers databases
with them (by posting to usenet or putting them on webpages) and register
these addresses with the "RBL".

If any emails come into these seeded addresses then we register some info
about that email with the RBL.

All incoming emails are checked against this RBL-type database to see if
we should accept or deny this email.

It is likely that we'll need some double level check to happen - probably
a stage 1 check like the real rbl which checks to see if the incoming ip
address may be a problem one. If so then we check the emails headers
against the database to see if this is indeed a spam.

The spammers would never be able to figure out the seeded addresses and the
only real way around this system would be to use different source IPs for
sending emails (not practical) if sending direct to MX.  If they use an open
relay then it'll quickly kill off connections from that machine - but we would
need to build in a TTL since the last spam registered from that host (e.g.
12 or 24 hours).

So, Why wouldn't this work?

Paul Gregg
--
Email pgregg at tibus.net | Email pgregg at nyx.net    | Eight out of every
Technical Director        | System Administrator       | five people are math