Hmmm.  Inetd under OpenBSD 2.5 consistently envokes the qmail-1.03 smtpd
daemon. I don't run daemontools, ucspi-tcp or tcpserver.

I also had qmail running under solaris 2.6 (x86 ver) without the above
requirements?

So what gives?  Is it that qmail-1.04 won't work with inetd?

One last note, as the senior developer here always says, "if it was hard
to write it should be hard to read" ;)