"Lyndon Griffin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Right - but what the web page says is not this
>       "qmail 1.03 users and web site no longer support inetd"
>
>but rather this
>       "qmail 1.03 no longer supports inetd"
>
>That is about the most misleading statement I have ever read.  Say what you
>mean and this type of discussion will not be necessary.

What the web page (www.qmail.org) says is entirely correct. "qmail
1.03" no longer supports inetd. Dan Bernstein, author of qmail 1.03,
has declared that qmail 1.03 does not support inetd. Russ Nelson,
owner of www.qmail.org, the *unofficial* qmail web site, is merely
repeating what Bernstein said.

Every couple of months, some qmail newbie comes along and starts
pointing out everything that's wrong with qmail, the qmail list, or
the qmail web site. These newbies invariably had a bad experience with
the thing they complain about, and their frustration points out areas
for potential improvement. But, also invariably, they seem to expect
everyone to swoon at their brilliant insights and set to work making
things "right".

It doesn't work that way.

We've been doing qmail, the list, and the web site for years, and,
although things aren't perfect, they're pretty darned good. We're
happy to listen to calm, reasoned requests for change from people who
demonstrate that they've done their homework, and these requests might
eventually lead to changes. But when know-it-all newbies come in and
try to tell us how to do things, well, we're naturally less receptive.

Your "about the most misleading statement I have ever read" comment is
a good example of the kind of declaration that has zero chance of
causing change.

-Dave