Ben Beuchler wrote:

> Is it absolutely necessary to do this?  I would like to at least get it
> functioning with 'mbox' support before I start messing with patches.  is there
> anything else I need to do first?  I have a nasty suspicion that if it's not
> working now, with it's 'most favored' mailbox format, it's going to work even
> less well with a patched mailbox format.
>
> Ben
>
> > > I just installed the U of W imapd.  Apparently there are no configuration
> > > options for this server.  My understanding is that it uses whatever mailbox
> > > setup is currently being used by Linux.  So...  I set up a .qmail file in a
> > > users ("charlie") home directory containing the line "/home/charlie/mbox" and
> > > sent a half dozen messages to that user.  I viewed his mbox file with less just
> > > to confirm it did indeed contain the messages.  Then I set up an account for
> > > charlie in Outlook 98 and attempted to view his messages.  Outlook connected
> > > just fine, but didn't indicate that there was any mail to be read in his folder!
> > >
> > > Am I missing something?
> >
> > Yes. Use Maildir delivery, and David Harris fine patch-FIXES for the
> > qmail-imap-patches. Everything is nicely wrapped up here:

UW imapd, by default pulls mail from /var/mail or /var/spool/mail.
qmail, on the other hand, delivers to a users home dir. you need to
either configure qmail to deliver to /var/mail or configure imapd to use
mailboxes in the users home dir. NOTE: the authors of qmail spent time
finding good ways of avoiding /var/mail, so i'd recommend you not go
there.

there are instructions with qmail (read INSTALL.vsm) for configuring
qmail to deliver to /var/mail, and there are instructions with the UW
imap package (at least v4.5 and 4.6 in docs/CONFIG) for how to modify
imapd to read from a users home dir.

both of these options will allow you to continue to use the mbox
format.