Ruben van der Leij <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2000 at 10:35:09AM -0600, Tim Tsai wrote:

>> What do you guys do for backup's?  Do you put two NIC cards in each
>> server and maintain a separate network for that?

We just back up over the same network as we do everything else, early in
the morning.  It's a 100Mb fiber trunk, and normal traffic doesn't come
anywhere close to saturating it.  Bear in mind that pretty much all of our
users are local and on direct Ethernet connections to the rest of the
campus network, so bandwidth generally isn't much of a concern.  Disk
speed is our limiting factor.

> Do you have *a lot* of pc-hardware around? What failed, last time? And
> before that?

> In my experience power-supplies, drives and memory (in that order) are
> most prone to failure. The only dead NIC's or switches I've seen were
> after a direct hit by lightning took out a major part of the leased line
> of a client.

Add in CPU fans as more likely to fail than anything else.  PC
manufacturers don't use decent CPU fans.  If you use non-PC hardware, you
much more rarely have that problem, but the hardware's a lot more
expensive.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])         <URL:http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>