On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 06:41:23PM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Well the CDB (in my idea, at least) will be indexed to the unchanging part
> of a message filename (without new/ or cur/ in front), and contain the headers
> that mutt normally reads from the file itself while opening. [Yes, I am
> targeting mutt specifically, don't flame me ;)]

This is not uncommon in a number of the proprietry message stores. An index
file that points directly into the mail/mailbox which identifies such things as
MIME boundaries, header boundaries and so on. Many treat the index as a
cache of high-use knowledge needed by the client applications.

> For searches thru headers, the cdb can be used. For body-text-searches my
> solution won't help much.

Your cdb/index *could* contain a cache of recent searches.

Mark.