On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 10:15:31AM -0600, Jeff Hayward wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Russell Nelson wrote:
>
>   One way to do that would be for Dan to change the
>   Maildir specification so that a Maildir may have multiple "cur"
>   directories.  Then, keep a CDB containing a subset of the message
>   headers.
>
> Why multiple "cur" directories?  I'm guessing that you're trying to avoid
> rebuilding a large CDB when any cachable item changes.  Why not simply use
> multiple CDB's in a single directory instead?  Select a CDB by hashing the
> file names.

CDB is hashed itself. Using multiple CDB's to share one load is useless.

The multiple "cur" directory idea helps performance on average filesystems.

> I'm also presuming that the CDB will be indexed by something like the
> message file name.  How efficient are things like string searches going to
> be in that case?  My dream states include things like results of previous
> searches being cached (I have several large folders that I search on the
> same subset of strings frequently).  How would you do that with a CDB?

Well the CDB (in my idea, at least) will be indexed to the unchanging part
of a message filename (without new/ or cur/ in front), and contain the headers
that mutt normally reads from the file itself while opening. [Yes, I am
targeting mutt specifically, don't flame me ;)]

For searches thru headers, the cdb can be used. For body-text-searches my
solution won't help much.

Greetz, Peter.
--
Peter van Dijk - student/sysadmin/ircoper/madly in love/pretending coder