Jeff Hayward writes:
 > On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Russell Nelson wrote:
 >
 >   One way to do that would be for Dan to change the
 >   Maildir specification so that a Maildir may have multiple "cur"
 >   directories.  Then, keep a CDB containing a subset of the message
 >   headers.
 >
 > Why multiple "cur" directories?

Avoid large subdirectory filesystem lossage.

 > I'm also presuming that the CDB will be indexed by something like the
 > message file name.  How efficient are things like string searches going to
 > be in that case?  My dream states include things like results of previous
 > searches being cached (I have several large folders that I search on the
 > same subset of strings frequently).  How would you do that with a CDB?

If you're storing mail on a server, I don't see *any* alternative to
server-side searching.  Not that I know how best to implement it.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | "Ask not what your country