[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In my past 7 years of using Linux I have never seen an ext2 filesystem
> that fsck could not fix.

In my 7+- years, I haven't either. My worst experience was the time I
had to use the -b option (fsck told me to, so I did, and it worked). I've
lost about 3 files in that time to ext2 inconsistency--not too bad.

> Getting back on topic, I use an ext2 async filesystem for qmail.

I use ext2 sync for /var/qmail/queue. But I handle so little mail, that
the fs doesn't visibly impact latency.

> The chances of my machines going down at the exact moment that
> email could be lost seems pretty small.  For high volume sites with
> reliability requirements a journalling filesystem like ext3 should
> probably be used.

Sounds exactly right to me. (For 'reliability requirements' I'm reading,
'handles other peoples email'.)

Len.

--
Early to bed and early to rise makes a man tired and grumpy.
                                -- Dan Bernstein