Patrick Bihan-Faou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 31 March 2000 at 23:53:31 -0500

 > Maybe one way to deal with this is:
 > 1. verify that the domain of MAIL FROM is correct
 > 2. verify that the address of the server sending the mail
 >    resolves to that domain...
 >
 > This is probably not the best answer, but if you apply that to some key
 > domains, then you should be able to cut down on a fairly good volume of spam
 > with fake addresses. Also it should be fairly easy to implement a scheme
 > like this in qmail (although it also means more DNS lookups for a good
 > number of incoming mail messages).

Remember how we're telling people on the road with laptops that they
shouldn't try to relay through their home ISP, they should relay
through the ISP they connected to the net through?  (so that IP-based
relay checking works right).  Your suggestion causes their mail to be
rejected by the receiving server.  NOT a good idea.

Also, lots of people who have their own domain, hosted through an ISP,
end up sending email with their domain in the envelope sender, but
through a server that resolves back to their ISP.

I think this idea breaks so much it's hopeless.  And what does it
really buy you anyway?
--
Photos: http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/ Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon
Bookworms: http://ouroboros.demesne.com/ SF: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b