On Sat, Apr 01, 2000 at 11:07:05AM -0500, Patrick Bihan-Faou wrote:
[snip]

> Well I am certainly not saying that this should be done for all domains. But
> for some sensitive ones (yahoo ? hotmail ? aol ?), it would probably be

You could perhaps indeed consider yahoo and/or hotmail since these are
webbased and people can _only_ read their mail on their webinterfaces
(correct me if I'm wrong) so they will probably only send out mail thru
these same interfaces.

> worth while. Also remember that the "MAIL FROM" may not the same thing as
> the "reply-to". If you are using this ISP's mail relay, then it is likely

Add the header-From: (which can be different from the MAIL FROM and
reply-to!) to that.

> because you have a user account with that ISP. Nothing prevents you to

Correct.

> advertise the e-mail address associated with that user account in the MAIL
> FROM, nothing prevents you to advertise your "official" email address in the
> reply-to header.

Uhm. You are correct. Nothing prevents you from doing that. But it kinda
defeats the purpose of being able to dialin anywhere in the world, POP mail
off your home-provider and send thru the relay of the ISP you're dialing
into.

> This amounts to enforcing stricter relay servers: should a server relay mail
> if the address presented in MAIL FROM does not belong to one of its domains
> (in addition to does it come from one of the "local" computers, etc.) ?

Yes it should. Relaying should be based on IP, either fixed (subnets) or
dynamic (SMTP-after-POP), and _nothing_ else.

> The method I am proposing is still more permissive than blocking mail from
> servers based on them being listed in ORBS or DUL. Again, I don't advocate
> on doing that for all servers, but just for the domains the most likely to
> be used for fake email addresses.

You are not making sense here. You can compare ORBS/DUL use to what you are
proposing, since these are two completely different things.

Anyway, most people here will agree that the rules you are proposing are
insane, because you will prevent your customers from using a POP-account at
another ISP.

Greetz, Peter.
--
Peter van Dijk - student/sysadmin/ircoper/madly in love/pretending coder