On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 09:35:47AM +0100, Gareth Harper wrote:

> 1) His first requirement was to only allow relaying if the user had one
> of his hosted domains as the From: line of an email. I've told him what
> a bad idea this is but there's no persuading. So is there anyway to do
> this but only when the mail has to be relayed? I'd guess we'd need a
> patch to smtpd. Please don't tell me what a bad idea this is - I know.
> But orders are orders.

How do you survive in the same company as someone so clueless? (nevermind)

Using the From header (as opposed to the environment From) in particular
is utterly stupid - you would have to receive a larger part of the message
before you deny access.

See FAQ 5.5 for a way.

> 2) He want's a web based front end to view customers mailboxes without

don't know.
Should be possibly and quite easy, but i will not let a web server
touch my mails. Especially without any authentication ...

> 3) I've been told that the logs don't produce enough detail and that
> sendmail produces much more detailed logs in /var/log/maillog including
> the sender, recipient and other information.

To only piece of qmail which doesn't log _extensively_ is qmail-smtpd.
The remainder of the qmail system - qmail-send and so on - log
everything you might want, as soon as qmail has taken reponsibility
for the delivery of the message.

> Is it possible to produce much more detailed logging using qmail.

No.

> We need to be able to trace anything in case of abuse.

Astonishing.
(in other words: so do i, and qmail satisfies my needs since years)

Regards, Uwe