On Tue, 2 May 2000, Gareth Harper wrote:

  1) His first requirement was to only allow relaying if the user had one
  of his hosted domains as the From: line of an email. I've told him what
  a bad idea this is but there's no persuading. So is there anyway to do
  this but only when the mail has to be relayed? I'd guess we'd need a
  patch to smtpd. Please don't tell me what a bad idea this is - I know.
  But orders are orders.

Warning: brain damage detected.  You will instantly be listed in ORBS, and
will likely also be frequently abused by relay-rapers.

  Is there a web front end available that doesn't require logging in like
  this? or where can I find detailed info on the maildir format that qmail
  uses so I can write my own.

You can hack upon sqwebmail, but I wouldn't.  More brain damage.

  3) I've been told that the logs don't produce enough detail and that
  sendmail produces much more detailed logs in /var/log/maillog including
  the sender, recipient and other information. Is it possible to produce
  much more detailed logging using qmail. We need to be able to trace
  anything in case of abuse.

The only thing that sendmail logs which qmail does not is the
message-id.  Of course, qmail doesn't write logs in sendmail format, which
may be what the PHB wants.  Write a perl script to reformat
qmail/tcpserver logs in sendmail format.

-- Jeff Hayward