Rainer Link wrote:

> "Benjamin de los Angeles Jr." wrote:
> >
> > Can you sight pros/cons of using your antivirus software compared to
> > AmaVis?
> > > [I used it's perlscanner interface to match on the attachment filename while
> > > waiting for the Antivirus vendors to come up with an "official" fix :-)]
> > > See http://www.geocities.com/jhaar/scan4virus/
>
> Well, I think you refer to AMaViS-Perl? AMaViS-Perl does not require any
> qmail patch(es) and supports more antivirus software.
> scan4virus provides a "generic filter/scanner" to filter out eMails with
> a specific attachment name - which in case of "I love you" is a good
> thing, but it's very easy to change the file name (or the subject line),
> according to BugTraq this has happend.

Err - no scan4virus contains a "generic filter" IN ADDITION TO support for other
commercial virus scanners.

Currently Trend, MacAffee, HBEDV and Sophos.

My original rationale for developing my own virusscanner wrapper was that I  had
some security concerns with AmaVis which weren't shared by the author, it didn't
support Qmail, and it was a shell script instead of a more "secure" language like
perl (well, "perl -T").

Maybe some of these reasons no longer apply, but I doubt it operates as efficiently
as scan4virus does (i.e. at the qmail-queue level) - that would be difficult to do
and retain conpatibility with postfix and sendmail...

Anyway, variety is the spice of life...

--
Jason Haar