I've searched through several qmail archives and saw this question appear
many times, but never found a solution that helped me.

I've been following Dave Sills "Life with qmail" pretty much to the letter.

OK, actually _TO_ the letter.

I'm finding that the server happily accepts e-mail on both of the IP
addresses and host names I've assigned to the box. It doesn't DELIVER them
mind you, but they sit happily in the queue.

It would appear as though I definitely have a mailbox type issue.

# telnet localhost 110
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to mercury (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK <9981.958401059@FQDN>
user bob
+OK
pass xxxxxx
-ERR this user has no $HOME/Maildir
Connection closed by foreign host.

[root@mercury control]# more /var/qmail/control/defaultdelivery
./Maildir/
[root@mercury control]#

But I DO have the maildir as created by "maildirmake", no?

[root@mercury bob]# ls -al Mai*
-rw-------    1 bob      bob         19136 May 12 13:07 Mailbox
-rw-------    1 bob      bob          8956 May 12 13:29 Maildir
[root@mercury bob]#

I've experimented with different types of delivery, as shown by the two
mailbox types above. And now I seem to have broken it quite badly.

As well as:
[root@mercury bob]# tail -f /var/log/qmail/current
@40000000392008fb0ad9d30c status: local 0/10 remote 0/20
@4000000039200a1207e7e33c starting delivery 1: msg 24123 to local
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
@4000000039200a1207e9b02c status: local 1/10 remote 0/20
@4000000039200a120852c29c delivery 1: deferral:
Unable_to_chdir_to_maildir._(#4.2.1)/
@4000000039200a1208541e44 status: local 0/10 remote 0/20
@4000000039200a1907d2b944 starting delivery 2: msg 24126 to local
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
@4000000039200a1907d42c5c status: local 1/10 remote 0/20
@4000000039200a19083a8b64 delivery 2: deferral:
Unable_to_chdir_to_maildir._(#4.2.1)/
@4000000039200a19083bdb54 status: local 0/10 remote 0/20

As you can see by the Mailbox and Maildirs it once worked, once I started to
mess with tcpserver my woes began.

Ultimately this is just going to be a MTA/MDA box for MS Lookout clients.

Any thoughts, suggestions and supportive criticisms, would be greatly
appreciated.

Bob

R. (Bob) Carpenter
CIO-Chief Information Officer