Michael T. Babcock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 4 August 2000 at 10:02:54 -0400
 > I beg you to cite the place where this list abides by these "Age-old
 > standards".
 > I've cited some standards about mailing lists to people before -- but
 > usually along the lines of "don't quote 100 lines and give only 1 of your
 > own" or "don't use 10 line signatures".  I don't complain about whether my
 > mail reader is only intelligent enough to recognise "-- " as a leader to a
 > signature instead of "--" or "- Michael" ...

Signature is pretty well-defined, and "-- " is the delimiter.  Stuff
that uses other delimiters breaks all sorts of archiving and reply
software.

 > That, and I much prefer to put
 > my statements above the quoted text if my statement deals with the entirety
 > of the comment (not just segments, as yours was), so that anyone following
 > the list can quickly read what I have to say without scrolling.

I wish you wouldn't.  When I then respond to various paragraphs of
your text, the resulting sequence is very confusing -- or would be if
I didn't take the trouble to reorder your message first.
--
Photos: http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/ Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon
Bookworms: http://ouroboros.demesne.com/ SF: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b