From: Martin Jespersen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, October 15, 2000 2:22 PM
To: Georg Lutz
Subject: Re: OT: courier-imapd & netscape messanger for windows ==
complete fuckup... any ideas?

Hi Georg,

Definition

  root-level folders = folders on the same level as the INBOX in the
filesystem directory structure.

Example:

  INBOX == ~mylogin/Maildir/
  Trash == ~mylogin/Trash/
  Sent == ~mylogin/Sent/

etc...

I have made a Maildir folder under ~mylogin as ~mylogin/Maildir/ using
maildirmake and there is no
problem delivering to it or reading from it.

The problem is this: Courier-imapd refuse to create root-level folders and
insists that all folders
should be created as subfolder of the INBOX folder.

Example:

  INBOX == ~mylogin/Maildir/
  Trash == ~mylogin/Maildir/Trash/
  Sent == ~mylogin/Maildir/Sent/

Furthermore, since courier-imapd uses '.' as separator instead of the
standard '/' that other
Maildir-like message structures like Mh use all folders are created with a .
infront.

Example:

  INBOX == ~mylogin/Maildir/
  Trash == ~mylogin/Maildir/.Trash/
  Sent == ~mylogin/Maildir/.Sent/

The problem basically seems to be that the guy who wrote courier-imapd is so
hooked on the rfc's
that he made a imap server that breakes all clients :( (or at least netscape
messanger and microsoft
outlook, which are used by the larger part of internet users as MUA)

At first i thought that this was due to the silly choice of personal
Namespace that he made, ie.
INBOX which is a more or less reserved word in most MUA's.

But although i patched the source to use PRIVA instead it still fucked up.

So i guess it might be the '.' seperator that is the problem, though i am in
know way knowledgable
enough about the imap specs to base this on anything else than gut-feeling
as a professional
programmer of many years.

But before i take on the task of making a complete working patch for courier
imapd which supports
standard MUA's i would like to be sure that no-one has done this before me,
since i am hard pressed
on time as it is, and actually need a good working imap server that supports
Maildir now ;)

I thought about contacting the guy who wrote it, but i must admit that after
reading the FAQ and
BUGS section on the download site i doubt very much that he in anyway cares
about my problems since
he seems to think that all MUA's that doesn't speak imap his way should be
fixed *shrug*.
That is an attitude that is hard to find usefull for the rest of us IMHO.

Regards

Martin Jespersen

Georg Lutz wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> what do you mean by "root-level-folders" ?
> With a MUA you can only create folders in your INBOX. If you want to
> create public-shared-folders you have to use maildirmake (which is part
> of courier-imap), perhaps with a combination of
> /usr/lib/courierimap/etc/maildirshared.
> How folders in your private namespace are displayed, depends on the MUA
> you are using. In Netscape this are all subfolders of "INBOX".
>
> But for further information you should look at man maildirmake or at the
> courier-mailing-list.
> I am quite happy with courier-imap and I would not recommend any other
> imapd with maildir-patches.
>
> Bye
>   Georg
>
> Martin Jespersen schrieb:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > My MUA is netscape messanger 4.73 for windows and i am not about to
change this so spare me any
> > rants about getting another MUA.
> >
> > I am currently using wu-imapd v4.7 with maildir patch, but i am not
quite satisfied with (the
> > maildir driver has a few missing features that are really anoying).
> >
> > So i am trying to get courier imapd 1.1 up and running, and it runs just
fine, but...

> > It refused to create root-level subfolders and i can only create
subfolders under the INBOX.

> > i have tried to reconfigure/reinstall 10 times now with and without
the --enable-workaround..

> > i have even tried to modify the source code to use PRIVA as the personal
namespace instead of INBOX
> > (yeah i changed it everywhere and make check worked fine)
> >
> > but it is a no-go...
> >
> > maybe it would work if i completely rewrote the namespace structure of
courier-imapd and changed the
> > subfolder delimiter from "." to "/" like mh use since mh seems to work
fine except being super-slow
> > and outdated in alot of ways
> >
> > is there anyone who is succesfully running courier with support for
netscape out there?

> > going through the sourcecode it seems that courier actually insists that
root-level folders should
> > reside under ./Maildir/ eg. the trashfolder is file-system wise created
as ./Maildir/Trash/

> > can anyone answer me this: why? isn't this just begging for MUA
problems?

> > *ARGH the pain!*
> >
> > if anyone knows of ANY imap server that supports Maildir format and
Netscape messanger at the same