Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED] ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> i know that the problem is at my machine, and not on the remote email server. (
> i xxx'd out the relevant things as i'm a contractor, and the company has very
> specific policies of my using their name... i like to work, if you know what i
> mean <s>)
>
> anyway, i know it is at my machine as when to problem showed up under sendmail,
> i checked internally, and was given the fix in the form of a sendmail.cf file
> for my machine, not the remote server. so, naturally, i suspect the fix is
> local for qmail as well.

Important point: qmail is not sendmail, not by a long shot.

The point I tried to make in my response was that qmail did everything
exactly as its supposed to, however the _remote mail server_, running
sendmail, rejected your message.  So, it begs the question, "what does
this have to do with qmail?"  The answer is: nothing.  qmail-remote
connected to the remote mail server, it tried to deliver a message,
the remote mail server rejected it.  Simple as that.

You stated in your last mail that the company you work for has a
policy of "no wildcard MXs."  I'm having trouble understanding exactly
why on Earth anyone would care.  Do you know exactly what a wildcard
MX is?

This is the part that is confusing: you are sending mail to
atoka-software.com.  It's MX record looks like:

atoka-software.com      MX      10 mail1.best.com
atoka-software.com      MX      10 mail2.best.com
atoka-software.com      MX      20 mail3.best.com
atoka-software.com      MX      20 mail4.best.com

further, mail[1234].best.com each has multiple IP addresses, which is
returned round-robin by the name server.  They do this for the sake of
redundancy.  That is not wildcard MX'ing.  Unless you are using a
smarthost, a la smtproutes, then qmail will check the DNS for the MX
for atoka-software.com, then connect to the IP address returned by the
name server.  If you are using a smarthost, and it rejects relaying
your mail to one of best.com's mail servers, then the smarthost is not
configured properly.  The bounce qmail sent you points this out
clearly.

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> 1.2.3.4 does not like recipient.
> Remote host said: 554 <myclient.server.domain.com[1.2.3.4]>: Client host rejected:
>Will not relay via wildcard MX records - reference
>http://www.server.domain.com/DNS/wildmx.html
> Giving up on 1.2.3.4.

I'd sure like to know what that web page says.  So, like I said
previously, more information is needed, unfortunately your employer's
dubious "security through obscurity" mentality, and your acceptance of
it, makes it much more difficult to decipher the exact nature of this
problem.

Aaron