Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED] ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> > > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > > 1.2.3.4 does not like recipient.
> > > Remote host said: 554 <myclient.server.domain.com[1.2.3.4]>: Client host
>rejected: Will not relay via wildcard MX records - reference
>http://www.server.domain.com/DNS/wildmx.html
> > > Giving up on 1.2.3.4.
> >
> > atoka-software.com does not have any wildcard MXs.  I'm pretty confused
> > as to what that mail server is thinking.  I think some more info is
> > needed.

> so far as i can determine, it is not that the receiving domain has
> wildcard mx's; it is the dependence of the mail server on the local
> machine that is somehow depending on a wildcard mx. (pardon me, i am
> ignorant here! <s>) anyway, it does not matter where the destination
> mailbox is (other than *.domain.com).

Hmm, no that doesn't make any sense at all.  As an addendum to my
latest message, I see that best.com has indeed set up wildcard MX
for your domain:

$ host -t mx blah.atoka-software.com
blah.atoka-software.com MX      10 mail1.best.com
blah.atoka-software.com MX      10 mail2.best.com
blah.atoka-software.com MX      20 mail3.best.com
blah.atoka-software.com MX      20 mail4.best.com

Even so, the wildcard only means anything when sending to
*.atoka-software.com.  There isn't anything you can do on the qmail
machine to work-around your employer's mail server's rejecting of your
mail.  I can't see what you could do on a sendmail machine, either,
other than bypass the smarthost.

Personally, I simply would not use their mail server as a smarthost.
I can't see any advantage to rejecting mail simply because there
are wildcard MX records associated with it.  Maybe someone else
can enlighten me.

Aaron