On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 08:31:48PM +0100, Felix von Leitner wrote:
> Thus spake Greg Cope ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> > Has anyone any empirical evidence for the speed increases I may expect
> > (as opposed to a fast EIDI (ATA 66, 8.5ms seek) or SCSI system (eg 10k,
> > 5.3 ms seek 25mb/s) ?
>
> Why would you expect a speed increase at all?

Er, perhaps because a disk seek/fsync is slower to a real disk than it
is to a ramdisk?

> And even if there were one, would anyone notice?

Sure. When you deliver thousands or millions of emails a day. And
plenty of people do that right now.

> Who looks at his email every millisecond and would even notice the
> improvement?

Er, I believe the discussion is about queue processing, not MUA
reading?

> I would suspect that your mail service, like everyone else's, is not
> limited by disk throughput, but by network throughput.

"suspect" being the operative word here. Mostly qmail thruput on large
systems *is* spindle bound. A lot of these sort of systems are housed
at co-los where there is a *lot* of available bandwidth. I have seen
plenty of qmail systems run out of spindle first so I don't know what
led you to conclude that "..like everyone else's, is not limited by
disk throughput".

Regards.