Hello.

I have a basic qmail installation following the install notes from the
tarball. I have decided to add all the other djb programs so it will be a
djbware machine.

Passes all the test and works fine out of inetd. Added checkpassword and
set-up pop3d. All tested and works fine.

Oh, two questions :-

1)   Why isn't apop available in Dan's checkpassword/qmail. APOP may not be
prefect, but plain text is totally unsecure.
2)   On checking the qmail.org and links from the checkpassword docs, there
seems to be 3 or 4 implementations of APOP/checkpassword. Which one, in
peoples opinion, should I use ?

Installed the latest ucspi-tcp and damontools.

I have printed and read Dave Sills life with qmail, but wanted to add and
work through in stages as I add each program as I want to learn the
intricacies of the system, not just have it all running without
comprehension.

No examples given for qmail in the tcpsever docs. No man ucspi-tcp, no man
tcpserver.

Looked in the qmail FAQ and found #5.1.

o.k. - it says   "remove smtp from /etc/inetd.conf"  - no way. Remmed it
out.

put line :-

tcpserver -u 7770 -g 2108 0 smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd &

changed 7770 to 7791 which is my qmaild. Not sure why 7791 wasn't used as
default as that's what's is described in the IDS, but o.k. - but hey, big
deal. - Reboot required. (Is that it ??? nothing else mentioned)

Barfs on reboot with :-

tcpserver/-u: *:ai_socketype not suported

which is Greek to me.

I know that Dave Sills docs mentions cdb and tcp rules etc. but this isn't
mentioned in Dan's qmail FAQ, so I don't know where to go from here.

I searched through about 150 of the archived qmail lsit files but didn't see
this problem.

Pointers please.

Regards...Martin
--

All the wastes in a year from a nuclear power plant can be stored under a
desk.
 -- Ronald Reagan, quoted in "Burlington Free Press", 15 February 1980