Perhaps I have my DNS settings botched, but lately I have noticed a delay in
qmail's response when sending mail from my LAN. If I telnet to it, it can
take up to 30 seconds or longer before I get the greeting. Once I do get the
greeting, or make the connection, subsequent responses are perfectly fine. It
seems that only after a period of inactivity will this happen. I don't think
this problem is present for others sending mail in from the Internet. My LAN
IP's are not stored in any DNS server that qmail knows of, but they are on
/etc/hosts.

Any ideas?