On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 10:33:09AM -0500, Dave Sill wrote:
> I really should let this die, but I just can't...
>
> Henning Brauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 04:34:36PM -0500, Dave Sill wrote:
> >
> >> Where does apachectl live?
> >
> >/usr/sbin/apachectl, but thats irrelevant as apache is NOT started or
> >stopped or whatever by apachectl, apachectl in OpenBSD is just a helper
> >program for the sysadmin, not for the system.
>
> How do you start Apache if not "apachectl start"?

/usr/sbin/httpd

> >> How is having a simple control interface like:
> >[...]
> >> against "keep it simple"?
> >> What are the *BSD-approved equivalents for the above commands?
> >
> >svc -d /service/qmail-* and co. In general you are looking up PIDs and send
> >them signals in BSD-world, not calling complex scripts.
>
> "Complex scripts"? You think think the LWQ qmail script is complex?
> Give me a break! It's freakin' trivial.

The script itself is everything but trivial.
One Example why it is bad: you are storing svscans PID (via $!) in
/var/run/svscan.pid und use this PID for killing svscan later. What if the
admin has killed and started svscan in other ways before "qmail stop"? Given
your favorite server prog has this PID when you issue "qmail stop"? You are
killing the wrong program. Starting svscan at boottime and never stop it is
the much cleaner way and fits well in BSD philosophy. And, btw, works as
well on Linux.

> Let's look at simplicity and complexity... Let's compare your way and
> my way for some simple qmail administration tasks:
>
> Task            BSD                                     LWQ
>
> start           PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin               qmail start
>                 svscan /service &

covered by /etc/rc.local, never done by hand.

> stop            svc -d /service/qmail-*                 qmail stop
>                 svc -d /service/qmail-*/log
>
> restart         svc -d /service/qmail-*                 qmail restart
>                 svc -d /service/qmail-*/log
>                 PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin
>                 svscan /service &

no.
                  svc -t /service/qmail-*
multilog needs no restart usually.
your example is worng, you'd have two svscans running if you do so.

> rebuild cdb     tcprules /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb \            qmail cdb
>                   /etc/tcp.smtp.tmp < /etc/tcp.smtp

right.

> check queue     qmail-qstat                             qmail queue
>                 qmail-qread
>
> hup             fire up web browser                     qmail hup
>                 go to http://cr.yp.to
>                 find daemontools docs
>                 look up svc
>                 locate HUP option
>                 svc -h /service/qmail-send

no. I'm familiar with svc as everbody running anything under svscan should
be, so it is simply

svc -h /service/qmail-send

And you forgot "reschedule queue",
                 svc -a /service/qmail-send               qmail alrm (?)

[..]

> Do you
> really have a local copy of the daemontools docs? Is it current?

of course. But i wish Dan would include manpages...

> >[Non-OS specific installation instructions] can't work. The OS
> >concepts are to different.
>
> That's pretty sad, but it's a symptom of the gratuitous
> incompatibilities that DJB rails against. And these are due to 20
> different OS packagers each doing things their own way and demanding
> that developers accomodate their whims.

Yes, thats true.

> The LWQ qmail script works the same on all platforms. Can't BSD be
> just a little flexible and allow cross-platform compatibility?

svscan is the way to cross-platform compatibility.

--
Henning Brauer     | BS Web Services
Hostmaster BSWS    | Roedingsmarkt 14