Henning Brauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 10:00:46AM -0500, Dave Sill wrote:
>>
>> Nonsense. The "qmail" script from LWQ is compatible with the System V
>> init script mechanism, but it's also perfectly compatible with BSD and
>> generally useful on all UNIX flavors as a qmail control
>> interface. Maybe I should rename it qmailctl a la apachectl or
>> ctlqmail a la ctlinnd...
>
>No. I'd go with Robin to say that init scripts shouldn't live in
>/usr/local/whatever,

Where should they live? Where does apachectl live?

>and your qmail script, perfect for linux and other
>sysv-init systems, is not adequate for *BSD.

Does "qmail start" not work on *BSD? Of course it does. It may be more
than you want, but that doesn't make it inadequate.

>It's totally against the "keep it simple"-approach.

How is having a simple control interface like:

  qmail start
  qmail stop
  qmail queue
  qmail doqueue
  qmail pause
  qmail cont
  qmail stat
  qmail reload
  qmail restart
  qmail cdb

against "keep it simple"?

What are the *BSD-approved equivalents for the above commands?

>> Granted, I should add a note about adding:
>>   if [ -x /usr/local/sbin/qmail ]; then
>>     /usr/local/sbin/qmail start
>>   fi
>> to rc.local for BSD variants,
>
>No, see above.

I just don't get it.

>... I believe that you don't have a linux
>bias, and in fact i'd guess most qmail-installations _are_ on linux. I'd
>just separate basic instructions from os specifica as we have done it in
>http://www.lifewithdjbdns.org/ and http://www.lifewithqmail.org/ldap/.

My goal with LWQ--and it was obviously less than 100% successful--was
to keep the installation instructions as portable as possible. I
wanted to avoid having constant interruptions for OS-specific
details.

-Dave