On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 04:34:36PM -0500, Dave Sill wrote:
> Henning Brauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 10:00:46AM -0500, Dave Sill wrote:
> >>
> >> Nonsense. The "qmail" script from LWQ is compatible with the System V
> >> init script mechanism, but it's also perfectly compatible with BSD and
> >> generally useful on all UNIX flavors as a qmail control
> >> interface. Maybe I should rename it qmailctl a la apachectl or
> >> ctlqmail a la ctlinnd...
> >
> >No. I'd go with Robin to say that init scripts shouldn't live in
> >/usr/local/whatever,
>
> Where should they live?

Nowhere. We have exactly two (2) init scripts, /etc/rc and /etc/rc.local

> Where does apachectl live?

/usr/sbin/apachectl, but thats irrelevant as apache is NOT started or
stopped or whatever by apachectl, apachectl in OpenBSD is just a helper
program for the sysadmin, not for the system.

> >and your qmail script, perfect for linux and other
> >sysv-init systems, is not adequate for *BSD.
> Does "qmail start" not work on *BSD? Of course it does. It may be more
> than you want, but that doesn't make it inadequate.

maybe inadequate wasn't the right word, bit it doesn't fit in BSd philosophy.

> >It's totally against the "keep it simple"-approach.
>
> How is having a simple control interface like:
[...]
> against "keep it simple"?
> What are the *BSD-approved equivalents for the above commands?

svc -d /service/qmail-* and co. In general you are looking up PIDs and send
them signals in BSD-world, not calling complex scripts. svscan/supervise
fits good in BSD world as these are simple approaches working very very fine.

> >> Granted, I should add a note about adding:
> >>   if [ -x /usr/local/sbin/qmail ]; then
> >>     /usr/local/sbin/qmail start
> >>   fi
> >> to rc.local for BSD variants,
> >
> >No, see above.
>
> I just don't get it.
>
> >... I believe that you don't have a linux
> >bias, and in fact i'd guess most qmail-installations _are_ on linux. I'd
> >just separate basic instructions from os specifica as we have done it in
> >http://www.lifewithdjbdns.org/ and http://www.lifewithqmail.org/ldap/.
>
> My goal with LWQ--and it was obviously less than 100% successful--was
> to keep the installation instructions as portable as possible. I
> wanted to avoid having constant interruptions for OS-specific
> details.

It can't work. The OS concepts are to different.

--
Henning Brauer     | BS Web Services
Hostmaster BSWS    | Roedingsmarkt 14