>       Which client are you using?

Outlook 2000.

>       There is a similar bug in all versions of Outlook, where it will
> abruptly stop downloading messages if the last byte in the TCP packet
> happens to be a dot ("."). See:

This may or may not be the problem.  On the one hand, with this particular
message, the 2nd-to-last packet had "\r\n." at the end of it, and the last
packet had "\r\n" in it.  (That is, the standard "\r\n.\r\n" to end a
message.)  So it indeed matches your description.

On the other had, the reference you give says that one packet ends in a dot
and the next packet begins with a dot.  This is not the case here.

>       I don't know if it's the same bug, since the circunstances
> you mention
> seem to be slightly different,

Yes, they are, but also remarkably similar.

> but you could research into that
> direction. Have you tried telnetting by hand to port 110 and issuing POP
> commands to see if the same thing happens?

Guaranteed to work.  Also, if I pop the message from my client (also Outlook
2K), it invariably works.  Since we're on a lan connection with different
MTUs, our packet boundaries would differ enough to not see the problem.  I
think we're on the right track.  The trick is finding a work-around, because
moving off Outlook is not an option.

Thank you very much for the pointer.

Carey