Mustafa Mahudhawala <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Has anybody used tcpserver for Qmail & other services out there --

Of course.

>I am using FreeBSD 4.2 and want to start my basic services like telnetd,
>ftpd along with smtp & pop3 etc using tcpserver (and tcpserver.conf)
>instead of plain tcpserver or inetd (and inetd.conf).

Scrap telnet for ssh. Scrap ftpd for ssh (authenticated) and/or
publicfile (anonymous).

What's tcpserver.conf?

>I have succesfully installed tcpserver, daemontools & tcpserver-control
>(latest versions)

What's tcpserver-control?

>But I am pretty confused about the whole lot and their ineraction.
>i.e. tcpserver - daemontools - tcpserver-control.

tcpserver listens to a specified port, accepts connections on that
port, and forks a daemon to handle the connection.

daemontools provides a set of utilities for controlling daemons
(services)--starting them, stopping them, signalling them, logging
their output, etc.

tcpserver-control I've never heard of.

>also /services & tcpserver.conf (why both)

Beats me.

-Dave