Mark Douglas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm having some "issues" with my qmail server. :) However, instead of
> dumping all my problems on this list, I think it would be more beneficial
> for me to do my own troubleshooting so I can learn the "ins-and-outs" of
> qmail. Are there any good web-pages or anything dedicated to
> common/not-so-common problems encountered with qmail, and ways to
> troubleshoot those problems?

Excellent, you show initiative.  Most good qmail resources can be found by
either following links from qmail.org, or by doing a Google search.

> For those of you who are curious, my current problem is that my queue has
> come to a crashing halt. I had about 15000 messages in it, and I was doing
> some kernel tweaks and the big concurrency patch to make it push 500
> messages at a time. It ate through the 15000 messages in about 45 seconds,
> but left me with about 370 messages in the queue. Ever so slowly those
> messages have trickled out over the past 16 hours, but it's only sent about
> another 150 messages, leaving about 220 remaining.

Perfectly normal.

> Now, my suspicion is that these are deliveries that failed the first time
> and have been set to retry again at a later date.

Yes, that's exactly it.  They're messages for which a temporary error occurred
on at least one recipient.  If all recipients have either succeeded or failed
permanently, the message will be bounced by qmail in short order and will be
removed from the queue.

> However, I can't find a way of confirming this, apart from the "deferred"
> statements in the log files. I assume the deferred statement is confirmation
> of what I suspect.

Temporary errors; failure to connect or 4xx codes from remote mail servers.
Local deliveries can also be deferred in some circumstances.

> What I'm wondering, is if there's a way to reset the deferred status of
> these messages and try sending them all out again?

Yes; `man qmail-tcpok` and `man qmail-send` will tell you how.  However, it's
not necessary.  qmail uses a backoff algorithm that works surprisingly well.
The retry schedule is detailed in Dave Sill's excellent "Life with qmail".

cr.yp.to and www.qmail.org .

> 2) A way to look at the status of the queue, other than qmail-qstat

`find /var/qmail/queue/remote -type f` ?

> 3) A way to force all messages in the queue to send again immediately

See above.

Charles