> >  `find /var/qmail/queue/remote -type f` ?
> > the returned message was:
> >
> > /var/qmail/queue/remote/0/277955: Permission denied.
>
> That was my (somewhat tongue-in-cheek) suggestion.  It doesn't tell you a
> whole lot of useful information -- only the number of messages
> currently in
> the queue which are bound for remote recipients.  It's information easily
> grepped from the output of qmail-qstat or qmail-qread anyways.
>
> > I guess my question now is, what permission is higher than root?
>
> On traditional Unices, none -- are you positive you were running as root?

Yes, I checked and was running as root.  Interestingly, I did 'cd
/usr/var/qmail/queue/remote/0, ls' (still as root) and was able to retrieve
the file.  You are right.  It only gives the list of addresses that email
was going to.

> There's a possible alternate explanation as well:  are you on a
> system which
> is completely capability-based, so that the account "root" (UID
> 0, anyways) is
> not special?

I don't think so.  Root seems to have all the power except in that one
instance (so far).