On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 08:11:21PM -0400, Yevgeniy Miretskiy allegedly wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 09:47:16PM +0000, Mark wrote:
> > Then it's an OS bug.
> >
> > qmail-remote only gets to the read() if the OS (via select() ) says
> > that the read will not block. Ergo, the OS is lying.
>
> If it's OS bug, anybody heard/knows of such severe network related
> bug in RedHat 6.2?
>
> What about FreeBSD 4.2 (I believe somebody reported problem with
> FreeBSD as well)???
>
> What are the chances of _such_ bug in _both_ OSes?
> I'd like to mention, that I ran qmail of FreeBSD (starting from 3.x all
> the way to latest) for couple years and _never_ observed this behaviour
> on FreeBSD.

I ran it on Solaris 2.5/2.6 for years and did experience this sort of
behaviour. It went away on 2.8. So what?

No one has shown that qmail-remote is doing anything wrong. If it's
not doing anything wrong, them maybe the problem is somewhere else?
Conversely, every reading of the code in question suggests that
qmail-remote is doing everything right.

The fact that this problem occurs on at least two OSes simply suggests
to me that the TCP/IP interaction is a boundary condition perhaps
triggered by distance connections and perhaps also by an uncommon
remote TCP/IP stack.

Regardless of which, if an OS renegs on the "fd-will-not-block"
promise, then it can *only* be an OS bug.

Regards.