Yevgeniy Miretskiy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 09:47:16PM +0000, Mark wrote:
> > Then it's an OS bug.
> >
> > qmail-remote only gets to the read() if the OS (via select() ) says
> > that the read will not block. Ergo, the OS is lying.
>
> If it's OS bug, anybody heard/knows of such severe network related
> bug in RedHat 6.2?

Many, especially with earlier kernels.  Upgrade to 2.2.19-6.2.1 if you haven't
already. 2.2.14 in particular was a nasty one, at least as shipped by RedHat.
And no, I'm not trolling -- I use RedHat myself.

> What are the chances of _such_ bug in _both_ OSes?

Coincidences happen.

> Is it possible that some external devices s.a.
> switch/router/firewall/anything could be causing this problem?

Yes, very possble.  Some firewalls do "transparent" SMTP or POP proxying, and
there have been many bugs in such implementations.

Charles