Why not let logrotated handle your log rotation, daily if you so
desire, and call qmailanalog from a postrotate block on maillog.2?

We have a similar setup here, but we're rotating weekly.  There's a
little perl script that calls qmailanalog and sends its output to a
dated file (mail-report-mm-dd-ccyy.txt).   About an hour later, another
script comes along and adds a pointer to the new file to the reports
index.   It's only been in place for a few weeks, but it seems to be
working fine.

That actually reminds me of another question I've been thinking
about.  Now that I have these nifty statistics, I'd like to know how to
interpret them.   Sure, I know what 'delivery attempts' means, but
what's a good number for that?   How high is too high when it comes to
average qtime?  Is there a document somewhere that outlines that?

Perhaps it's not even relevant - after all, the qmailanalog report
seems to say more about the servers I'm sending to than my server.

cheers,
Todd