Charles Cazabon wrote:

> Mark Douglas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I'm trying to figure out how I should get the stats I want out of
> > qmailanalog, along with some other things I'd like to do. My main issue is,
> > if I wanted to do a daily log rotation, would it be feasible to do the
> > following (using multilog): Set my logfile size to 100MB; at end of day,
> > have a cron job run that copies the "current" file to another, dated file;
> > echo > /var/log/qmail/current to empty out the log file and start fresh. I
> > realize it's not pretty, but the real issue is, would it cause problems?
>
> Yes -- each message has multiple log lines associated with it.  You'll likely
> get some messages which cross over your arbitrary per-night boundaries.  qmail
> won't be able to include those messages in its analysis if you just analyze
> one log at a time.
>
> However, it's probably going to have a negligible impact on the overall
> statistics.  I posted a shell script to this list last week which does exactly
> what you want, suitable for use as a nightly cron job.  And because it uses
> qlogselect from Bruce Guenter's qlogtools package, you don't need to rotate
> the scripts nightly to split the statistics up per-day -- qlogselect will
> automatically extract the log entries for a time period you specify.  The
> script filters it down to one day.
>
> Charles
> --

Hi Charles, This qlogselect app from qlogtools doesn't appear to be in the latest
release of qlogtools.
I recently downloaded the src code from http://untroubled.org/qlogtools/ and found
that there was a man page for qlogselect but nothing else.  When I compiled that
package I ended up with no qlogselect app, and no mention of it in the Makefile
either.

Is it supposed to be part of that package or do I need to get it from elsewhere?

Brett