> I think you're confused.  From the man page for quotacheck:
>
>    Quotacheck should be run each time the  system  boots  and mounts
>    non-valid  file  systems.   This is most likely to happen
> after a system
>    crash.
>
> qmail won't be running that early in the boot, so it's not an issue.
>
> Charles

I'm probably confused; I've never set quotas on a Linux server before.  The
parts of the man page for quotacheck to which I was referring:

        quotacheck expects each filesystem to be checked to have quota
        files named aquota.user and aquota.group located at the root
        of the associated file system.  If a file is not present, quotacheck
        will create it.
        It is strongly recommended to only run quotacheck with quotas turned
        off and the filesystem unmounted or in read-only mode, or quota
        corruption can occur. . .

I've never set quotas on this server before so I thought that I must first
run quotacheck to create the aquota.* files.  Since qmail will probably dump
at least one e-mail into somebody's Maildir while quotacheck is running I'm
at a loss as to how to keep qmail from delivering locally while still
accepting mail.

Thanks much.

---Norvell Spearman