> If the filesystem isn't mounted, then qmail isn't going to be
> delivering mail to it, is it?

So if I umount /home while qmail is up, will qmail barf or simply wait for
/home to be remounted?

> To run quotacheck, you should probably go to
> single user mode,
> unmount all unnecessary filesystems, etc.  When you do this, you
> aren't going
> to be running any unnecessary daemons (like qmail).
>
> Charles

I know single user mode would be best; I could do the quota stuff late at
night.  But what would happen if mail comes to the server and qmail isn't
running?  Does it simply bounce back to the sender, does the originating
smtp server keep trying for a while, or does all that depend on how the
destination mail server is configured?  I'm trying to avoid having my users
yell at me if they don't get an e-mail they're expecting, or if they can't
send e-mail out.  That's why I originally asked about whether qmail can
accept mail for delivery (local and remote) while not delivering mail
locally.

Thanks much for any help.

---Norvell Spearman