Norvell Spearman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I think you're confused.  From the man page for quotacheck:
> >
> >    Quotacheck should be run each time the  system  boots  and mounts
> >    non-valid  file  systems.   This is most likely to happen after a
> >    system crash.

> I'm probably confused; I've never set quotas on a Linux server before.  The
> parts of the man page for quotacheck to which I was referring:
[...]
>       It is strongly recommended to only run quotacheck with quotas turned
>       off and the filesystem unmounted or in read-only mode, or quota
>       corruption can occur. . .
>
> I've never set quotas on this server before so I thought that I must first
> run quotacheck to create the aquota.* files.  Since qmail will probably dump
> at least one e-mail into somebody's Maildir while quotacheck is running I'm
> at a loss as to how to keep qmail from delivering locally while still
> accepting mail.

>From the part you quoted:  "... only run quotacheck with quotas turned off
_and_the_filesystem_unmounted_" (emphasis added).

If the filesystem isn't mounted, then qmail isn't going to be delivering mail
to it, is it?  To run quotacheck, you should probably go to single user mode,
unmount all unnecessary filesystems, etc.  When you do this, you aren't going
to be running any unnecessary daemons (like qmail).

Charles