Hello Dave

Can QM Toaster be used to turn a default CentOS install into a very basic
POP3/IMAP/SMTP email server?

It's a lot more than basic, as it comes with antivirus, antispam,
domainkeys, spf and srs. I'd call it thorough rather than basic.

Our current ISP where we host ~15 domains and ~25+ email accounts has a
mandatory incoming "auto-discard" spam filter that is far too strict to
continue using.

That sucks.

Unfortunately, switching ISPs is not an option right now.

Good luck!

I am looking at signing up for a basic low-memory CentOS "Virtual Dedicated
Server" to  handle our own incoming (& outgoing) mail.

I wouldn't go too low on the memory unless you don't want antivirus
and antispam.

There will not be a full-time IT person to maintain the server, so
simplicity is a must.

The QmailToaster is very simple. This is a no brainer.

I am perfectly fine with leaving out server-side spam filtering, though I
suspect that some basic blacklist usage would be a good idea.

I'd recommend against leaving out the spam filtering, as blacklists
are usually too encompassing.

Most specifically, I don't want to add the performance overhead, security
liability, and maintenance requirements of a typical "default" server.
(Apache, MySQL, Bind, etc.)

In reality, the only thing that requires maintenance is the antispam,
antivirus and webmail.The project keeps those all up to date. The rest
is, for the most part, already a couple of years old and battle tested
on the internet. Known to be secure.

Basically, I want an ultra-basic server that I can set for automatic updates
and let it continue running "hands-off" until CentOS 4 is no longer
supported with security patches.

Sounds like the plan. It's how I run mine.

Will Qmail Toaster do what I need?

Yes. It's not basic, but it is simple. And there is plenty of support
here, on the wiki and on the main site.

Thanks,
Erik