Mine's a dual PII 233 box with 128 meg of ram and a couple of 250Gb IDE
drives.  CentOS minimum install (using the super easy install script).
I've got 12 users in our small office.  I also use the box to host our
intranet (with quite a few MySQL databases).  As you can see, the box is
just coasting along:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# uptime
 16:01:21 up 103 days,  2:10,  1 user,  load average: 0.14, 0.06, 0.02

I'm scanning all incoming mail with clam/spam and I haven't had a bit of
problems with this setup since the day it was installed.  The only
outage came when one of our neighbors got in too big of a hurry to leave
and wrapped his truck around the power pole outside of our building.

Prior to the toaster, I ran a UW-IMAP server with Sendmail on the same
hardware.  It was easy enough to maintain, but the mbox format was so
very slow, especially for my roaming users with less than ideal bandwidth.

Al

Eric "Shubes" wrote:
> Dave Q.T. Newbiw wrote:
>> Hi Erik,
>>
>> Thanks for the reply...   What size VM, memory-wise, does QM Toaster
>> need? Is 96MB enough?
>
> That should probably be enough if you're not scanning (clamav,
> spamassassin). I'm running a full blown toaster for a small office on an old
> PII/266 w/154M ram, and it practically idles (load avgs <0.1).
>
>> In anticipation of the fact the that over the next few years _some_
>> bug/security issues will be found, how exactly does the auto update
>> process work? Is everything updated, or just the base CentOS files?
>
> The only thing that's automatically updated in the stock toaster is clamav.
> You'll need to set up cron jobs to run yum to update the OS. qtp-newmodel
> script(s) (part of qmailtoaster-plus) can be set up to run by cron too, but
> I wouldn't recommend that. Once your toaster is stable, it really shouldn't
> need any/many updates.
>
>> Thank you,
>> David
>>

>> */Erik Espinoza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>/* wrote:
>>
>>     Hello Dave
>>
>>     > Can QM Toaster be used to turn a default CentOS install into a
>>     very basic
>>     > POP3/IMAP/SMTP email server?
>>
>>     It's a lot more than basic, as it comes with antivirus, antispam,
>>     domainkeys, spf and srs. I'd call it thorough rather than basic.
>>
>>     > Our current ISP where we host ~15 domains and ~25+ email accounts
>>     has a
>>     > mandatory incoming "auto-discard" spam filter that is far too
>>     strict to
>>     > continue using.
>>
>>     That sucks.
>>
>>     > Unfortunately, switching ISPs is not an option right now.
>>
>>     Good luck!
>>
>>     > I am looking at signing up for a basic low-memory CentOS "Virtual
>>     Dedicated
>>     > Server" to handle our own incoming (& outgoing) mail.
>>
>>     I wouldn't go too low on the memory unless you don't want antivirus
>>     and antispam.
>>
>>     > There will not be a full-time IT person to maintain the server, so
>>     > simplicity is a must.
>>
>>     The QmailToaster is very simple. This is a no brainer.
>>
>>     > I am perfectly fine with leaving out server-side spam filtering,
>>     though I
>>     > suspect that some basic blacklist usage would be a good idea.
>>
>>     I'd recommend against leaving out the spam filtering, as blacklists
>>     are usually too encompassing.
>>
>>     > Most specifically, I don't want to add the performance overhead,
>>     security
>>     > liability, and maintenance requirements of a typical "default" server.
>>     > (Apache, MySQL, Bind, etc.)
>>
>>     In reality, the only thing that requires maintenance is the antispam,
>>     antivirus and webmail.The project keeps those all up to date. The rest
>>     is, for the most part, already a couple of years old and battle tested
>>     on the internet. Known to be secure.

> [...]

- --
Al Adcock
Information Technologies Manager \~/ Webmaster
B&C Technologies
440 West 11th Street
Panama City, FL 32401
p:  850-249-2222