From: Dan McAllister [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2007 6:05 PM
To: qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com
Subject: Re: [qmailtoaster] Domain bouncing mail, vuser says user is fine --
still a problem

Jake...

I DO have a bad habit of reading the documentation -- I use the vqadmin
program solely for retrieving passwords when idiot users "forget" them
-- usually the day after they have reset them for some odd reason.

In my environment, clients purchase a server and maintenance from me.
They are then able to host their own services (web, file, email, etc) on
their own server in a kind of "black box" configuration -- I do all the
maintenance, security audits, etc. for them for a monthly fee.

Mail accounts (or more correctly, mailboxes) USED to be tied to User
accounts -- until I switched to the toaster.  A HUGE benefit, if you ask me!
However, users cannot host additional domains without calling support (we
haven't automated that task yet.) They can edit webpages, and completely
manage their email domain (thanks to qmailadmin), but I don't even give them
access to toaster-admin, much less vqadmin.

When a client asks for a new domain to be hosted on their system, they
submit a request via email. At that time, we add the domain to their DNS,
create a space for the web pages to be hosted, create an admin account group
for the new domain (who are able to edit the web pages), and lastly create
the email domain (vadddomain).

I actually then add a couple of items:
  1) I set the postmaster account to point to MY postmaster account -- I
read the postmaster mail for all domains I administer, whether on my own
server or a client's
  2) I create an admin user mailbox (usually the owner of the company) and
set the password to something we've agreed upon earlier
  3) I create webmaster and abuse aliases for my own webmaster and abuse
email mailboxes (on my own domain) -- same reason as for postmaster
  4) I email the client a PDF document that tells them how to log into
qmailadmin on their new webpage, how to use THEIR account (not
postmaster) and a brief primer on how to create each type of account
(mailbox, alias, responder, and list). They can always call for additional
support -- but the issues that new users bring up are usually added to our
PDF document so we don't have to answer it again!

Which brings me back to my current issue... this client is STILL without
email this evening, and I'm looking like an idiot because I've checked
everything I know how to check...

Are there NO CLI diagnostics that can try to find out why (or just as
importantly) WHERE qmail-smtp is failing to find the account???

regards...

Dan

Daniel McAllister, President

IT4SOHO, LLC
2171 Wrens Way
Clearwater, FL 33764

877-IT4SOHO: Toll Free
727-647-7646 In Pinellas
813-464-2093 In Hillsborough
727-507-9435 Fax Only

"When did you do your last backup?"

Ask me about unattended backup solutions...
to protect your business, not just your data!