ummm... I think I inadvertently confused you...

I ran vuserinfo as root and got:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# /home/vpopmail/bin/vuserinfo [EMAIL PROTECTED]
name:   user
passwd: $1$OUEk3eHa$14lfEMjiA.tX6nuT1m5.m1
clear passwd: password
comment/gecos: My User
uid:    0
gid:    0
flags:  0
gecos: My User
limits: No user limits set.
dir:       /home/vpopmail/domains/clientdomain.com/user
quota:     NOQUOTA
usage:     NOQUOTA
last auth: Tue Jul 17 12:01:12 2007
last auth ip: imap
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]#

Then I logged in as the user vpopmail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# su vpopmail
[vpopmail@ root]$ /home/vpopmail/bin/vuserinfo [EMAIL PROTECTED]
name:   user
passwd: $1$OUEk3eHa$14lfEMjiA.tX6nuT1m5.m1
clear passwd: password
comment/gecos: My User
uid:    0
gid:    0
flags:  0
gecos: My User
limits: No user limits set.
dir:       /home/vpopmail/domains/clientdomain.com/user
quota:     NOQUOTA
usage:     NOQUOTA
last auth: Tue Jul 17 12:01:12 2007
last auth ip: imap
[vpopmail@ root]$ exit

When I said it was the same, I meant that it was the same info as when I ran it as root.

Sorry for any confusion...

Now if you were referring to the password for vpopmail in Linux, there is none (not one on any other client either) (the /etc/shadow entry equivalent is:
vpopmail:!!:13542::::::
which is a non-password.

I *DO* change the default root password in MySQL away from the "PpAaSsWwOoRrDd" or some such default.

Dan

Daniel McAllister, President

IT4SOHO, LLC
2171 Wrens Way
Clearwater, FL 33764

877-IT4SOHO: Toll Free
727-647-7646 In Pinellas
813-464-2093 In Hillsborough
727-507-9435 Fax Only

"When did you do your last backup?"

Ask me about unattended backup solutions...
to protect your business, not just your data!

Jake Vickers wrote:
Dan McAllister wrote:
Update:

I enabled the vpopmail user as a shell account (changed the entry in /etc/passwd, then used su)
I tried the vuserinfo command:
$vuserinfo [EMAIL PROTECTED]

... and received an identical response.

I believe that this effectively shuts down the MySQL error assertion.

Unless qmail-send isn't running as the correct user...
but I just checked -- qmail-send is running as user qmails as intended (or at least the same as on my other servers).

The saga continues, and my clients are getting louder! :(

You're onto something there.... That should have worked:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# su vpopmail
bash-3.00$ /home/vpopmail/bin/vuserinfo [EMAIL PROTECTED]
name:   jake
passwd: $1$N4y/3gvf$UqT0OapwHml5arTMkXkHg0
clear passwd: none-of-your-business
comment/gecos: Jake Vickers
uid:    0
gid:    0
flags:  0
gecos: Jake Vickers
limits: No user limits set.
dir:       /home/vpopmail/domains/v2gnu.com/jake
quota:     NOQUOTA
usage:     NOQUOTA
last auth: Tue Jul 17 17:09:17 2007
last auth ip: 70.145.239.156

But it does have to read all of that info from mysql. Have you changed the password for vpopmail from the default or anything?